President Bola Tinubu has approved the nomination of Dr. Jamila Bio as the youth minister.
The president also approved the nomination of Mr. Ayodele Olawande to serve as the minister of state for youth.
Both nominations are subject to confirmation by the Nigerian Senate.
Dr Ibrahim’s nomination has triggered excitement among All Progressives Congress (APC) youths due to her popularity among young people in the ruling party.
News.ng profiles the minister in charge of youths in the country in the next four years.
- Professional Background: Dr Ibrahim is a 37-year-old medical doctor, politician, and development practitioner.
- Political Career: She has been involved in politics and has held various positions, including serving as the National President of the APC Young Women Forum.
- Public Service: Dr Ibrahim has worked in public service, previously serving as the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor of Kwara State on Sustainable Development Goals and as a Senior Special Assistant on Health matters to the Governor of Kwara State.
- Advocate for Global Goals: She advocates for the United Nations Global Goals and has actively promoted social and economic development through her participation in socio-political activities.
- Humanitarian Work: Dr Ibrahim has been involved in humanitarian efforts, volunteering in the northeast region of Nigeria under The Presidential Committee on the NorthEast initiative. She has supported the region’s vulnerable and internally displaced persons and volunteered on political campaigns.
- Awards and Recognitions: She has received several awards and honours, including the Clean Nigeria Ambassador award for contributions to the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene sector and the UN Peace Ambassador award from the International Association of World Peace Advocates.
- International Representation: Dr Ibrahim has represented Nigeria and Kwara State as a speaker on global platforms like the United Nations and the African Union.
- Passion for Horses: Besides her political and humanitarian work, she has a passion for horses and horseback riding, with over a decade of experience. She uses horseback riding and polo to challenge societal barriers against women and girls’ participation in such sports.
- Family Background: Dr Ibrahim is the daughter of Ibrahim Isa Bio, who has held various political positions, including Minister of Sports (under Goodluck Jonathan), Transport Minister (under Yar Adua), Member of the Federal House of Representatives, and a two-term Speaker of the Kwara House of Assembly.