Former governor of Abia State Uzor Kalu has urged the Nigerian Labour Congress to give the new President Bola Tinubu led-administration more time to address the country’s current hardships as a result of the removal of fuel subsidies, which has resulted in transportation and other commodity price increase.
Mr Kalu a chieftain of the ruling All Progressive Congressive APC said this in a video which has now gone viral.
A Twitter influencer, @Imranmuhdz posted the video via his account on Sunday.
“To my fellow Nigerians, I appeal to the NLC not to go on strike. Everything in Nigeria is so difficult for the rich and for the poor. I employ people as I am an employer of labour in my business and things are very difficult.
“The president himself knows that things are very difficult. Nobody in Nigeria cannot say that things are very difficult.
“Because we employ people in our various businesses and we know that things are very difficult.
“Please NLC give the new government some time.” Mr Kalu partly said in the video.
President Tinubu, who was sworn in on May 29, immediately implemented key economic initiatives, including the elimination of petrol subsidies and the unification of the currency rate.
These policies have been met with criticism, with many Nigerians claiming that the initiatives have caused them undue hardship.
The New.ng had reported last week how President Tinubu’s son, Seyi appealed to Nigerians to remain calm, while he assured that his father will not fail.
Meanwhile, Mr Kalu’s comment comes against the backdrop of a planned seven-day demonstration by organised labour groups in response to the removal of fuel subsidies and the escalating cost of living in the country.
However, in his video said the government is working hard to revive the economy urging the NLC should not further destroy the economy
He said, “The government is working hard to revive the economy and the NLC should not further destroy the economy by going on strike. Let’s please exercise some patience with the new government.”