Aderonke Bello, a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has listed ten notable achievements of Atiku Bagudu when he presided over Kebbi state.
Bagudu, a ministerial nominee, is the immediate past chief executive of the northwest state.
He, however, lost in his attempt to be a member of the Nigerian Senate during the 2023 general elections.
Rumours are rife that Bagudu may be given the agriculture ministry portfolio in the Federal Executive Council.
On Twitter, Bello says Bagudu as governor and formerly, as senator achieved the following:
1. The only governor that spent eight years in office in the country and did not build a house in Kebbi or Abuja
2. Bagudu as governor, did not purchase a single vehicle for himself (motorcade). No Lexus Super Sport, Prado, Land Cruiser etc. instead, he used the ones left for him by his predecessor.
3. Bagudu constructed over 60 kilometres of road within Birnin Kebbi (Bayan Kara, Oando, Shiyar Zabarmawa, Rugar Fulani etc.).
4. Bagudu also constructed some kilometres of road in all the 21 local governments of Kebbi state.
5. While in office, Bagudu subsidised PHCN to ensure stable electricity in Kebbi state.
6. As a senator and chairman Senate committee on interior, Bagudu employed over 100 Kebbi indigenes in NSCDC, Immigration, Correctional and Fire Service.
7. As a senator, Bagudu also contributed a lot to ensuring that Federal University is located in Kalgo within Birnin Kebbi against the wish of a former governor.
8. Without controversies, Bagudu contributed in no small measure to agricultural activities, especially farming in Kebbi state.
9. Bagudu is the most educated among all the state governors that governed the state.
10. He left over 40 billion in state coffers before he left office, with no issue of unpaid salary by either state or local government.
Before venturing into politics, Bagudu was also an associate of the former Nigerian military ruler, Late General San Abacha.