Tosin Samuel, a Nigerian chef popularly known for her outfit, TSpices Kitchen, has listed 12 ways to cook tasty jollof rice.
Samuel, a food content creator and recipe developer, shared the tips on her Twitter page on Sunday, June 11.
The author and food stylist was responding to a Twitter user who shared a photo of a jollof rice plate and asked how she should make her Jollof look ‘this golden?’
Read the tips below:
1) Use quality and red tomato paste, e.g. Derica, Sarah and Sonia.
2) You need a good fresh pepper base: Tomatoes, Tatashey, Shombo and Atarodo. Boil or grill in an oven and blend.
3) Don’t parboil the rice. Wash thoroughly.
4) Reduce your water and use steam to cook your rice.
5) Fry the tomato paste and pepper mix together with the seasoning and spices. Fry well till it’s thick and looks like a proper stew.
6) Pour your rice and mix before you add water, just enough to cover your rice.
7) After the first boil, get a foil paper and cover the rice to trap the heat in and cook rice with steam.
8) Remember, you need steam, not too much water, to make the best jollof rice.
9) When rice is a little soft, add some sliced onions, tomatoes and margarine for intense flavour and aroma.
10) If you like smokey rice, please allow your rice to burn. The more it burns, the more flavour you’ll get.
11) You don’t need a nonstick or ceramic pot for jollof rice. Use aluminium and stainless steel.
12) Use a suitable type of rice, preferably long grain, whether Nigerian or foreign. If you like basmati, use it.